Sunny's Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sunny's Forum

The official forum of the CCCP

Fighting For The Future - A Joshua Luminate Fan-Fic.

8-Bit Wren
    8-Bit Wren

Male Posts : 664
    Location : Australia. Yes, I'm surprised I'm still alive as well.

Character sheet
    Character 1 Name: Wren (Overlord)
    Character 2 Name: Falken
    Character 3 Name: Joshua Luminate

Fighting For The Future - A Joshua Luminate Fan-Fic. Empty Fighting For The Future - A Joshua Luminate Fan-Fic.

Post by 8-Bit Wren Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Well, well. Digging through the archives of my old PC, I stumbled across a fan-fic I'd been working before I started writing SoT (Shadows of Troria) which featured my 'main' character, Joshua Luminate.

Of course, this was written several years ago and I haven't gotten about to fixing it up quite yet, so...don't expect high-quality stuff. It's also...a bit big. So, yeah. Expect spelling errors and that.
    ----
    ...In the beginning.

A few days ago, the world known as Sapureth came to an end. The entire planet was stricken by a series of natural disasters, when one struck and eventually came to it's conclusion, the next came straight after, causing even more destructive power making some think that it's impossible for the amount of devastation caused. Entire continents were flooded by massive tidal waves, others torn apart by howling tornados and hurricanes which ripped apart miles of landscape, houses into splinters and reducing mountains to dust.

Storms raged on for days, lightning crashing down from the heavens, earthquakes ripped massive fissures in the earth, yet it still continued. Yet, this tragedy could've been prevented. A single life could've stopped millions from losing theirs. But it was far too late now. His hesitation to act meant he couldn't have done a thing. And people had died because of his inability to do anything.

An eerie silence...and that single life was in the shape of a young adult who was glancing out across the empty horizon that had once being a proud kingdom, all of it now in ruin. Some of the survivors had little qualms about doing away with others to simply gain their possessions and instil fear in those who are who still alive. Yet rumours were common among the people that they had actually created artificial monsters to help in slaying the helpless and raiding villages.

There were a continued number of strikes against small, scattered towns full of helpless survivors and the one-sided fights resulted in many more casualties. Barely able to defend themselves from such brutal conditions, they were outnumbered by these vicious creatures. It seemed that all who tried to cling onto life were slowly losing their will to even hang on. As if they no longer had a reason to exist. What did this man feel?

...Was it guilt? The fact that he'd failed to protect the people of this kingdom from a disaster that could've been averted? No. Not quite. There was still hope left which burnt brightly. He'd managed to rescue someone who'd be close to him for a long time. It wasn't simply out of friendship or his emotions towards her, but for hope she represented for this world and the people in it, even if they didn't know.

"If I'd done something before that day, then none of this would've happened. ...What's done is done and I don't intend to dwell on the past. But...what should I do now?" the boy mused to himself, staring back the way he'd come.

His thoughts were interrupted when a doctor from downstairs, probably from the medical bay and the only real safe haven for miles. Covered in dirt and sweat, dressed in a tattered white jacket and jeans, he was quite a sight, especially considering humans could rarely survive in the Spirit Realm of Sapureth.

Barely able to get the words out that a huge amount of monsters were already coming their way, breaking through the damaged outer defences of the facility. Everything seemed hopeless. They had no means to defend themselves and none of them were capable of combat; many were too old and frail, or too young and inexperienced. The only one who could actually fight was the young man.

Getting to his feet and dusting off the dry mud on his torn black trousers, the teenager reached for his swords that were in their scabbards. Only now, they had lost their previous luster, instead of housing a illuminating glow that had a brilliant radiance.

"Where are you going? There's nothing out there expect a few 'Summon Spirits' and the enemy heading towards us! You can't hope to fight them off alone!" the middle-aged man shouted.

Turning around and giving a simple shrug. The youth knew these facts very well. But this wasn't going to stop him.

"I failed the people of this realm once when the disasters wiped them out. I'm not about to let the same mistake happen again. It's time for me to act, doctor. To do what I can to save other lives, even if I'm the only one who can save them. We can't wait for a miracle any more." he calmly replied, spinning his blades through the air. "Make sure all of the Summon Spirits that are inside this building remain safe since I'll be trying to give those outside and in danger some time. Make sure to welcome them when they reach the doors. I want no-one to be left behind."

He kept silent, something else burning inside his mind. If he were to fall, that promise he made would be broken. And any chance of a future for this world would perish with him...unless...Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a simple envelope and tossed it at the middle-aged man.

"If I don't come back, give that to the girl who's in the medical bay. Please, it's for her eyes only. There's something important that she will need to know if I don't make it back." he gave a small smirk. "And, no, it's not some confession of love. Something else entirely."

"Very well, Mr. Luminate. I'll do as you request."

>...It's JOSHUA.< the teenager thought to himself, annoyed.

With that, he leapt over the wall and landed with relative ease or without harm on the desolate ground below. From a single glance, he counted at least twenty monsters tearing through the rubble in the distance, searching for their next possible meal and anything that they could salvage. Walking forwards them without fear; he began to hear the shouts from someone in immediate danger.

Quickly drawing his swords and racing other to the cowering family which consisted of a middle-aged man, woman and two children, he glared angrily at the small portion of mis-shapen monsters that had now focused on him, rather than the cornered prey.

"Get ready to run once they attack me. I'll buy you some time." the young man muttered, before turning back towards the monsters.

They didn't look as intimidating as he thought. Considering he'd fought against monsters far more dangerous than this, their 'wolf-like' bodies were covered in night-black fur and two tiny red eyes which began scanning him for any possible weakness. Razor-sharp claws jutted out of their paws before they snarled at Joshua, green drool oozing from thier maws. Seemed they were hungry.

"Sorry, but since I'm here, you're all going without a meal today."

Finding one of the savage beasts had already lunged itself towards him, the youth remained calm, span in a circle with his swords once with a powerful amount of force and slowly lowered them. A piercing, inhuman growl echoed through the empty plains around him as the creature fell to the barren ground. It's body was cleaved clean in half and disappearing in a cloud of mist, yet there was no blood, nor organs, the only thing that could prove it once existed was the black colored mist which vanished.

With almost no time to prepare himself, three more were rushing towards him, well aware he had lowered his guard when he'd taken a quick glance to see the family race towards the 'base.' He didn't seem too concerned about the enemy, noticing the monsters in the reflection of his blades...and a split-second later, the teenager had simply zigzagged through the remaining beasts with incredible speed and had easily dispatched them like the first one.

His facial expression had changed from emotionless and somewhat tense to calm and serious. He knew he could do this, that this was only just the beginning. A small, gentle breeze blew past him, rustling his white t-shirt and the exposed fair colored hair beneath his red cap and lifted his face to give a small smile.

Now he'd actually begun taking the offensive now and giving watching more people in the distance flee to shelter as their 'captors' had decided to hunt something that was more 'lively.' The boy's swords seemed to move with a hint of elegance, as if he were actually putting in some effort now. Knowing that there were still other in trouble, he led the monsters away from the remaining helpless civilians until all of the foes had surrounded him in a circle.

But knowing that so far, lives had been saved he realised that he'd only started what he intended to do...and he wasn't finished yet. There was soon going to be many more lives that would need saving. Knowing that his reasons to fight for now meant something, determination and his former personality came back and drove away any small doubts clouding his thoughts.

"I won't give up...! I've got something I need to protect!"

With this, his right-handed blade unleashed a surge of radiant light, blinding the creatures with the sheer illuminance. As they retreated from their once intended meal, the boy knew if they were to escape...more would come later. Even if they came in greater numbers, he'd refuse to let anyone else fall to the greed of another human being who couldn't care about killing others to get what they wanted. A few seconds later, his entire body was immersed in a glowing aura of light which rushed into his blades.

"Luminous Purge...!"

Plunging his blades into the ground beneath him, everything seemed to remain motionless...until small fissures formed in the ground around the monsters and below them. Without any further delay, many pillars of piercing light blasted skywards from the earth, enveloping the group in the white radiance...until it slowly died down, leaving no trace that the monsters had ever existed.

Victory.

Twirling his blades before throwing them into the air, the youth quickly did a small somersault and caught the weapons as they came down, swiftly returning them to their scabbards. Perhaps things would start looking up now...